Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pandora

I pulled up Pandora a little while ago, because I have yet to get iTunes on here or my music, and if you don't understand that, read my last blog. We're not going there. Anyway, Pandora. Occasionally, I admit it does get on my nerves, but I was willing to forgive it when I found one of the greatest stations ever created, the Film Scores station. But then it kept trying to slip in some sort of new-age nonsense in there as if I wanted it. But overall we get along.
I felt a need to go looking for old-time 1920's style music today, and in the process I found an entire station just for opera! I had already been going through the trouble of trying to build one the hard way, working my way from Luciano Pavarotti, because the man was amazing. Well, that was a lengthy process, and now I have a handy ready-made station for it. But, since I wasn't looking for opera in the first place, I continued my search for nice 1920's ragtime, having already found a nice Early Jazz station. This time, I got distracted by one called Choral Music. I admit it, I love choral music almost as much as I like good opera, better, sometimes. So, naturally, I added that station too. Having satisfied my curiosity in that field, I resumed my search for what I actually intended to find, only to be waylaid by a station entitled Showtunes. Generally speaking, I'm not obsessed with showtunes or anything. I'm probably classified as a passing fan, only truly interested in Wicked and Phantom of the Opera. But, I added the thing anyway, and it pulled up Chicago and we became friends. This made me quite happy, and I went back to finding that ragtime again. Finally, I found that there is no ragtime station and this was disappointing. Not to be deterred, I asked it to make a station centered around Scott Joplin. I think Pandora must be trying to increase its good karma, because it instantly gave me a string of perfect ragtime songs, just like I wanted. So, as of now, Pandora and I are very good friends. This will last until I go back to my Train station (funny, isn't it?) and it decides to pull up a live version of a song. I hate live versions, but does Pandora let you tell it that? Of course not. But until that or a new resurgence of new-age I-wish-I-was-music pops up, we shall remain on good terms.
That'll do, Pandora, that'll do.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I love your Pandora antics. They make me laugh. Big question... was it the Original Broadway cast version of Chicago, or the movie version?
    Most of the time I alternate between the playlists I make for writing each story, so Ache has a lot of the 40's and Big Band stuff. Chances is alot of different random stuff, mainly rock. I tried getting one particular song to play once and does it play? Nope. It has not played ONCE since I created the station. Peeved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both, actually. It pulls all the different recordings.
    It seems to hate giving you the exact song you want and avoids it as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, I stick to soundtracks for reliable writing music, it's easier to get precisely what I want that way. But Torrens does make for a good rock music template.

    ReplyDelete