Monday, March 12, 2012

You'll Thank me Later

I've noticed something interesting in the course of my EMT training. Saving people involves a great deal of discomfort and awkwardness for both parties. Putting a K.E.D. spinal immobilization device on someone, for instance, isn't on right unless the person feels like they're wearing the most horrible corset ever invented and the straps around the legs are so tight that they can't stand up. Naturally, we do this for your good. Same goes for the collar. If it feels uncomfortable, it's on right. Basically, most everything is designed to keep you from moving and unfortunately that usually involves very tight straps and things jammed where you'd rather they wouldn't be, but since your leg is broken you have more important things to worry about. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter that all the things are uncomfortable since that's what's keeping your spine, broken bones, or whatever from getting even more messed up than they already are. I just find it funny that everything that is designed to keep us safe, from seatbelts to spine boards, is uncomfortable.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. Sometimes I try driving down the street without my seat belt on....I t feels so awkward without it on that, I have to put it on right away... As uncomfortable as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less uncomfortable than flying through the windshield I guess.

    ReplyDelete